CURRENT AFFAIRS/GK | 11 MAY, 2019
India and United Kingdom agreed to strengthen ties on Indo-Pacific Cooperation-
1) India and United Kingdom (UK) hold Foreign Office consultations in which both countries have agreed to strengthen their ties in the field of Indo-Pacific cooperation, climate change, disaster resilience, development in third world countries and others.
2) Foreign Secretary, Vijay Gokhale led the Indian delegation and Sir Simon McDonald, Permanent Under-Secretary Foreign and Commonwealth Office of British government led the UK delegation. Besides the meeting, UK representative Sir Simon McDonald formally handed the instrument of ratification of the UK joining the International Solar Alliance (ISA) to Vijay Gokhale.
Konkan Railways Signs Contract Agreement With Nepal To Supply DEMU Train Sets-
1) Konkan Railways Corporation Ltd has signed a contract agreement with Nepal’s Department of Railways to supply two 1600 HP DEMU train sets. These trains will be used to operationalise railway link between Jayanagar in India and Kurtha in Nepal.
2) The train sets will be manufactured by the Integrated Coach Factory, Chennai. The 34 kms Jayanagar-Kurtha Railway Link has been built by IRCON with Government of India financial grant under India-Nepal Development Partnership programme.
United Nations to hold Ocean Conference 2020 in Portugal-
1) United Nations, May 10 (IANS) United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) decided to hold its 2020 high-level conference early June in Portugal’s Lisbon to support the sustainable use of the oceans, seas and marine resources.
2) The UNGA“decides that the overarching theme of the conference shall be “scaling up ocean action based on science and innovation for the implementation of Goal 14: stocktaking, partnerships and solutions.”
Actress Dia Mirza Selected Among 17 New ‘SDG Advocates’ Of UN-
1) The United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has appointed 17 global figures including Indian actress Dia Mirza and Alibaba chief Jack Ma as the new advocates to drive action and solidify global political will for the ambitious Sustainable Development Goals.
2) The new class of Sustainable Development Goals, SDG, Advocates are influential public figures committed to raising awareness, inspiring greater ambition and pushing for faster action on the SDGs, which were adopted by world leaders on September 25, 2015.
Subhash Chand to be the next Ambassador of India to the State of Eritrea-
1) Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India announced the appointment of Shri Subhash Chand as the next Ambassador of India to the State of Eritrea. He is presently serving as the Deputy High Commissioner in the High Commission of India, Abuja.
2) He will succeed Ravindra Prasad Jaiswal.
ITC Non-Executive Chairman YC Deveshwar Passes Away at the age of 72-
1) YC Deveshwar, ITCs longest serving corporate chief, passed away in Gurugram after a brief illness, Deveshwar (72), who stepped down from executive role in 2017 but remained as a chairman in non-executive capacity, spearheaded the diversification of ITC to an FMCG company.