CURRENT AFFAIRS/GK | 10 MAY, 2019
Indian Army To Commemorate 2019 as Year of Kin-
1) The Indian Army is commemorating this year as the Year of Next of Kin and plans to reach out to the next of kin of battle casualties, ex-servicemen and serving soldiers to inform them of entitled financial benefits, welfare schemes and help resolve pension related problems.
2) The Directorate of Indian Army Veterans will be the nodal agency.
Rajiv Gandhi International Airport of Hyderabad ranked among top 10 in the World-Survey by Air Help-
1) In a survey conducted by Air Help, Rajiv Gandhi International Airport of Hyderabad has been ranked as the worlds 8th Best Airport. The airports were rated on the basis of time performance, service quality and food & shopping options.
2) According to the ranking, Qatar Airways topped the list for the second consecutive year. It is followed by American Airlines, Aeromexico,SAS Scandinavian Airlines and Qantas.
3) According to the annual rating from AirHelp, The New Jersey Hub was ranked as the worst airport in U.S for the year 2019. The highest-rated Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport was ranked 34th and Newark was at the lowest U.S. spot, at 116.
Facebook Chooses London As Base For WhatsApp Payments-
1) Facebook has chosen London as the centre for the global roll-out of WhatsApp pay, before the social media giant launches its digital payments service on the mobile messaging platform in India.
2) WhatsApp, which has1.5 billion users globally, will hire nearly 100 people in London to focus on the digital payments service and additional operations staff would be hired in Dublin.
New CBO and COO appointed by Karnataka Bank-
1) Karnataka Bank Limited has promoted two of its General Managers, Balachandra YV and Gokuldas Pai, as Chief Operating Officer (COO) and Chief Business Officer (CBO).
2) Balachandra is a postgraduate in Commerce, a fellow member of Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) and a Certified Associate of Indian Institute of Banking and Finance (CAIIB).
3) Gokuldas Pai is a postgraduate in Agricultural Science and a CAIIB.
Tamil novelist and Sahitya Akademi Awardee Thoppil Mohamed Meeran dies aged 74-
1) Noted novelist and Sahitya Akademi awardee Thoppil Mohamed Meeran, 74, died at his residence at Veerabahu Nagar in Pettai.
2) He received 8 awards including the Sahitya Akademi Award and Tamil Nadu Kalai Ilakkiya Perumantram Award in 1992.
5th United Nations Global Road Safety Week-
1) The 5th United Nations Global Road Safety Week is being observed from May 6 to 12, 2019. It is celebrated once in two years.The Fifth UN Global Road Safety Week acknowledges that strong leadership is needed to advance road safety in countries and communities and achieve related Sustainable Development Goal and other global targets.
1) The theme of the Road Safety Week is Leadership for Road Safety’.