1) The Chhattisgarh police for the first time has inducted thirty women commandos in Dantewada of Bastar region and have deployed them in Malangir.
“A first-of-its-kind platoon of women DRG commandos has been raised. Of the 30 recruits, 10 are surrendered women Naxals, while 10 others are assistant constables who were part of the erstwhile Salwa Judum (anti-Naxal militia) movement.
1) The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu will embark on a four-day official visit to Vietnam from May 09. His visit is expected to enhance India’s comprehensive strategic partnership with the Southeast Asian nation.
2) During the visit, VP will deliver the keynote address at the inaugural session of the event themed as “Buddhist Approach to Global Leadership and Shared Responsibilities for Sustainable Societies.”
TCS becomes India’s most valued firm again surpassing RIL in market-cap-
1) On May 9th, Indian IT firm, Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) surpassed the Reliance Industries Limited (RIL), led by Mukesh Ambani, in terms of Market capitalisation and became the India’s most valued firm by market capitalisation.
2) As per BSE data, the market-cap of TCS stood at Rs. 8.13 trillion whereas the market-cap of RIL was Rs.7.95 trillion.
3) At present, TCS is the country’s most valued firm, which is then followed by RIL, HDFC Bank (Rs. 6,24,362.11 crore), Hindustan Unilever (Rs. 3,67,880.69 crore) and ITC (Rs. 3,67,513.78 crore).
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
1) Justice (Retired) KS Radhakrishnan, a former Supreme Court judge, was on May 8, 2019 appointed as the Member of the Commonwealth Secretariat Arbitral Tribunal of London. He will serve a 4-year term from June 1, 2019 to May 31, 2023 as a Member of the Tribunal.
2) He had earlier served as a Supreme Court judge from November 2009 to May 2014. He has also served as the Chief Justice of the High Courts of Gujarat and J&K.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
1) The Food and Drug Administration has approved the first vaccine for dengue, Dengvaxia, but placed significant restrictions on its use because the vaccine has been shown to put some people at heightened risk for a severe form of the disease.
2) The vaccine is also known as CYD-TDV and made by company Sanofi Pasteur. Mexico was the first country to clear it in the year 2015.
1) Amul has announced to sponsor Afghanistan team in upcoming World Cup 2019 which will be held in England and Wales from May 30, 2019.
2) Amul’s logo will be visible on the leading arm of jerseys of the Afghanistan players in international match and also in training kit throughout the world cup.
1) Renowned Sikh historian and first chronicler of India’s Partition history, Kirpal Singh, 95, died after a brief illness. He had retired as professor and head of the department of Punjab Historical Studies in Punjabi University, Patiala.
2) Recognising his outstanding contribution to Sikh history, Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee gave him the title of ‘National Professor of Sikhism’ in 2014.
1) On 9th May 2019,158th birth anniversary of Rabindra Nath Tagore, Asia’s first Nobel laureate and composer of India’s National Anthem, was celebrated. This day is also called ‘Rabindra Jayanti ‘symbolising his birth anniversary.
2) Different programmes were organised to pay homage to the legendary poet. Streams of people had gotten together at Tagore’s birthplace in Jorasnko Thakurbari, West Bengal on his birth day.