1) The 15th Finance Commission headed by Chairman, Shri N.K. Singh held a detailed meeting with the Governor and Deputy Governors of RBI in Mumbai.
2) Key issues raised by RBI Governor, Shri Shaktikanta Das and Finance Commission Chairman, Shri N.K. Singh were discussed in detail at the meeting. These issues included the following-
• The necessity of setting up State Finance Commissions for respective State Governments.
• Public Sector Borrowing Requirements
• Continuity of the Finance Commission
• Need for Expenditure Codes, especially given that expenditure norms vary from state to state
• Role of States in Growth and Inflation, for instance, role of states in Ease of doing Business.
1) On May 7, Finland will host the 11th Arctic Council Ministerial meeting in Rovaniemi. Minister-level representatives from the eight Arctic States will convene to review and approve work completed under the two-year Finnish Chairmanship to improve sustainable development and environmental protection in the Arctic.
2) The Arctic States will be joined by delegations from the Council’s indigenous Permanent Participant organizations, the Chairs of the six Working Groups, and Observers. The Ministerial will be held in the Lappi Areena in Rovaniemi, Finland.
NIOS and NHMPH inked MoU in Mumbai-
1) The National Institute of Open Schooling Ministry of Human Resources Development (NIOS) and National Health Mission of Public Health Department (NHMPH) of Government of Maharashtra signed an MoU in Mumbai.
2) The MOU focused on offering Vocational programmes to the Health Service Providers of National Health Mission (NHM) through National Institute of Open Schooling.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
1) India’s Jagjit Pavadia has been re-elected with the highest number of votes by the UN Economic and Social Council to a five-year term on International Narcotics Control Board (INCB), while China’s candidate Hao Wei lost.
2) She posted the highest number of votes at 44. Ms Pavadia has been a member of the INCB since 2015 and her current term is set to expire in 2020.
Sujatha V Kumar appointed as Head of Marketing for India and South Asia for Visa-
1) Digital payments technology leader Visa has appointed Sujatha V Kumar as Head of Marketing for India and South Asia. She will be driving overall marketing strategy and execution including consumer, retail and digital marketing initiatives for India and the emerging markets of Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Nepal and the Maldives. She will succeed Manmeet Vohra.
2) Prior to this, Kumar was with Google as Head – Brand & Reputation, Marketing and Strategy.
1) Professor NR Madhava Menon, a towering personality in modern Indian legal education, passed away on Tuesday night at a private hospital in Thiruvananthapuram. He was 84.
2) Madhava Menon founded the National Law School of India in Bengaluru, National University of Judicial Sciences in Kolkata and the National Judicial Academy in Bhopal. He was the first head of all these institutions. He has authored 12 books in his career.
1) The World Red Cross Day, also known as World Red Cross or Red Crescent Day, is annually observed on May 8. It is celebrated to commemorate birth anniversary of Henri Dunant (born on 8 May 1828), the founder of Red Cross and International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC).
The theme of this year was “#Love”.
World Thalassaemia Day 2019 observed on 8 May-
1) World Thalassemia Day is celebrated every year on 8th of May to increase the awareness about this disease among common public all through the world. Celebrating World Thalassemia Day on 8th of May was established by the World Health Organization in order to raise the public awareness about this disease, prevention measures and measures to avoid its transmission.
2) The theme of World Thalassaemia Day 2019 was “Universal Access to Quality Thalassaemia Healthcare Services: Building Bridges with and for Patients”.