1) India and the United States held the India-U.S. Bilateral Trade meeting in New Delhi. India and the United States have agreed to deepen economic cooperation and bilateral trade by ensuring greater cooperation amongst stakeholders, including government, businesses and entrepreneurs.
2) Suresh Prabhu, Minister of Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation, Government of India and Wilbur Ross, Secretary of Commerce, United States of America co-chaired the bilateral meeting.
1) The United States Air Force has now announced that it has conducted a successful test of a laser weapons system which is capable of shooting down multiple missiles in flight.
2) The test was conducted at the U.S. Army’s White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico by the Air Force Research Laboratory. It’s called the Self-Protect High Energy Laser Demonstrator (SHiELD) and it was tested from the ground.
AWARD & HONOUR
G D ‘Robert’ Govender Conferred with V K Krishna Menon Award-
1) An Indian origin journalist G D ‘Robert’ Govender has been honoured with 2019 V Krishna Menon award in the United Kingdom for his outstanding contribution as a pioneer of decolonized journalism.
2) The South Africa-born journalist was awarded posthumously during an event to mark the 123rd birth anniversary of the Indian diplomat and politician V K Krishna Menon.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
1) The Volleyball Federation of India (VFI) has announced the appointment of Dragan Mihailovic as the new head coach of the Indian men’s volleyball team.
2) The federation also appointed Pryemyslaw Gaszyoski and Valadimir Radosevic as physio trainer and physiotherapist respectively.
1) Former West Indies batsman Seymour Nurse died on Monday after a long illness at the age of 85. He was born on 10 November 1933 at Saint Michael, Barbados.
2) Seymour Nurse played 29 Tests between 1960 and 1969.
Former billiards player Derek Sippy Passed Away-
1) Former billiards player, coach and administrator Derek Sippy died in Mumbai died in his 60’s following a massive heart attack. His death was confirmed to Press Trust of India (PTI) by Manav Panchal, Honorary Secretary of the Billiards and Snooker Association of Maharashtra (BSAM).
2) He was the Indian team’s coach at recently concluded Asian Under-21 Boys Snooker and Asian Women Snooker tournament in Chandigarh.
1) World Asthma Day 2019 is on May 07. It is an annual event organized by the Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA) to improve asthma awareness and care around the world. World Asthma Day takes place on the first Tuesday of May.
2) The theme of World Asthma Day 2019 was ‘STOP for Asthma’.
World Athletics Day 2019 observed on May 7-
1) The World Athletics Day is observed every year on May 7 to popularize sports among the youth, to promote athletics as the primary sport in schools and institutions and to encourage and introduce new talent and youngsters in the field of athletics.
2) This Day, which is organized by the IAAF, helps to establish an important link between the youth, our sport, and environmental conservation.