1) The IBSA (India, Brazil & South Africa) Sherpas’ Meeting, following the 9th IBSA Trilateral Ministerial Meeting, was held in Cochin from May 3-5, 2019.
2) Indian delegation was led by T.S. Tirumurti, Secretary (Economic Relations) in Ministry of External Affairs and Amb. Norberto Moretti, Sherpa of Brazil and Prof. Anil Sooklal, Sherpa of South Africa led their respective delegation at the meeting.
Indian Navy Launches 4th Scorpene Class Submarine INS Vela-
1) The Scorpene-class submarine Vela, the fourth of six underwater warships being built in India with French collaboration, was launched here Monday with an aim to boost Indian capability to defend and secure the strategic sea lanes.
2) Defence production secretary Ajay Kumar’s wife Veena Ajay Kumar launched the submarine at Mazagon Dockyard in Mumbai.
1) This year, India has been invited to attend the Group of 7 industrialised nations meet along with Australia, Chile and South Africa. The 45th edition of the G7 summit will be held on August 25–27, 2019, in Biarritz, Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France.
2) The G-7 members include US, UK, France, Italy, Canada, Japan and Germany.
ADB Launches $5 Billion Healthy Oceans Action Plan-
1) The Asian Development Bank (ADB) today launched the Action Plan for Healthy Oceans and Sustainable Blue Economies for the Asia and Pacific region at the 52nd Annual Meeting of ADB’s Board of Governors in Fiji.
2) The Action Plan for Healthy Oceans and Sustainable Blue Economies will expand financing and technical assistance for ocean health and marine economy projects to $5 billion from 2019 to 2024, including cofinancing from partners.
AWARD & HONOUR
G D ‘Robert’ Govender honoured with V K Krishna Menon Award-
1) G D Robert Govender, an Indian–origin journalist in South Africa was honoured with V K Krishna Menon Award 2019 in United Kingdom for his contribution as a pioneer of decolonised journalism.
2) The award is given to mark the 123rd birth anniversary of V K Krishna Menon, Indian diplomat and politician. Govender is the first person who has been awarded the V K Krishna Menon posthumously. He had died in the UK in 2016.
PC Chandra Purashkaar 2019 conferred to Padma Bhushan Dr. Devi Prasad Shetty-
1) India’s most reputed cardiac surgeon and humanitarian, Dr Devi Prasad Shetty was awarded 27 the P.C. Chandra Puraskaar the annual national award from the P.C. Chandra Group at Biswa Bangla Convention Centre.
2) In 2003, he has won Padma Shri and Padma Bhushan for medicine in 2013.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
1) Flipkart-owned fashion e-commerce platform Myntra announced that it had appointed celebrity couple Virat Kohli and Anushka Sharma as its first brand ambassadors.
2) Myntra has launched an integrated campaign called ‘Go Myntra-la-la’ which will be promoted across television, print, digital and outdoor.
Sunil Sharma named as the acting President of Archery Association of India-
1) Archery Association of India named its senior vice president Sunil Sharma as its acting president.
“The Executive Committee unanimously appointed Sunil Sharma as acting president of AAI being the senior vice president of the association in accordance with Article 24 of AAI Constitution (as approved by the Supreme Court on 4th December 2017).
Stevo Pendarovski won North Macedonia’s presidential elections-
1) Stevo Pendarovski won North Macedonia’s run-off presidential vote on Sunday, eking out a win for the ruling coalition. The pro-Western candidate won 51.7% of votes, with 99.5% of the vote counted. He will succeed Gjorge Ivanov.
2) Gordana Siljanovska-Davkova, from the nationalist VMRO-DPMNE took 44.7% of the vote.
1) Ace Indian squash players Saurav Ghoshal and Joshna Chinappa won their respective Asian Individual Squash Championship titles in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
2) Saurav Ghoshal defeated Leo Au Chun Ming of Hong Kong. Joshna Chinappa, on the other hand, retained her title as she beat top seed Annie Au of Hong Kong in the women’s final event.
1) World Laughter Day is celebrated on the first Sunday of May every year. It is a day to raise awareness about laughter and its many healing benefits.
2) The first celebration was on January 11, 1998, in Mumbai, India.