1) Mangaluru City Police has launched an all-women police patrol unit ‘Rani Abbakka Force’. The force will cover the malls, beaches, educational institutions, places of religious importance, and the public transport system and handle issues related to eve-teasing and chain-snatching, among others.
2) All-women police patrol force has been named after the 16th-century warrior of coastal Karnataka, Queen Abbakka of Ullal near Mangaluru, who fought the Portuguese in the 16th century.
India To Purchase 10 Kamov-31 Choppers from Russia For INR 3,600 cr-
1) India is set To Purchase 10 Kamov-31 Choppers from Russia For INR 3,600 cr. The defence ministry has approved the procurement of 10 Kamov Ka-31 Airborne Early Warning and Control helicopters for the Indian Navy.
2) The cost of the deal would be around Rs 3,600 crore and the 10 helicopters would be deployed on the aircraft carriers and warships of the Navy.
1) The 16th Ministerial Meeting of Asia Cooperation Dialogue (ACD) was held in Doha, Qatar. Gen. (Dr) V.K. Singh (Retd), Minister of State for External Affairs led the Indian delegation.
2) Emphasizing on the theme “Partners in Progress”, he underlined India’s desire for working cooperatively with all ACD Member States in line with the Government of India’s approach of “Collective Efforts, Inclusive Growth”.
India-Australia Joint Working Group on Counter-Terrorism-
1) India and Australia held the 11th meeting of the Joint Working Group on Counter-Terrorism at Canberra where they deliberated upon the terrorist threats worldwide and in their respective regions including the problem of cross-border terrorism.
2) Both sides welcomed the listing of Masood Azhar, leader of the Jaish-e-Mohammad, as a global terrorist by the UNSC 1267 Sanctions Committee.
3) The Indian delegation was led by Mahaveer Singhvi, Joint Secretary (Counter-Terrorism), Ministry of External Affairs, while the Australian delegation was led by Paul Foley, Australia’s Ambassador for Counter-Terrorism.”
UK Parliament became 1st In World to Declare Climate Emergency-
1) The UK parliament has become the first in the world to declare an ‘environment and climate emergency’.
2) It also calls for the government to work towards carbon neutrality before 2050 and for ministers to draft proposals within the next 6 months to restore the country’s environment.
BANKING & FINANCE
1) The Asia-Pacific region is expected to power ahead growing at 5.7% this year but escalating trade tensions are a source of worry, according to Takehiko Nakao, President and Chairperson, Asian Development Bank.
2) However, the growth outlook for developing Asia is expected to moderate to 5.6 % in 2020.
Netherlands emerges as the 3rd largest source of FDI in India-
1) Netherlands becomes 3 rd biggest source of FDI in India The Netherlands has emerged as the third largest foreign direct investor in India during 2017-18, with investments pegged at about $2.67 billion across sectors.
2) Mauritius and Singapore are the top two countries for FDI in India during 2017-18 with an investment of USD 13.41 billion and USD 9.27 billion respectively.
AWARD & HONOUR
Former ISRO chief A.S. Kiran Kumar conferred ‘Knight of the Legion of Honour’ Award-
1) Former ISRO chairman A S Kiran Kumar conferred with France’s highest civilian award – Chevalier de l’Ordre national de la Lgion d’Honneur for his contribution to India-France space cooperation.
2) Ambassador of France to India, Alexandre Ziegler conferred Kumar with the highest civilian honour of France on behalf of the President of France.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
1) Shri Godavarthi Venkata Srinivas (IFS:1993) was appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Senegal. Presently, he is Joint Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs.
2) He succeeds Shri Rajeev Kumar, who is the High Commissioner of India to the Republic of Mozambique.
Paytm President Bhushan Patil Resigns-
1) Bhushan Patil, president at Paytm, has quit the company. Patil, joined Paytm after a five-year stint with Alibaba.
2) He joined the company in the year 2016. Recently, Paytm and Paytm Mall together could raise anywhere between $1-2 billion from investors.
1) Former Barcelona and Spain midfielder Xavi Hernandez will retire from football at the end of this season, ending an “unforgettable career that has lasted for 21 years”.
2) Xavi Hernandez spent 14 years in Barcelona, where he won 35 trophies, including 8 La Liga titles, before moving to Qatari club Al-Sadd.
Bajrang Punia Wins Gold in Ali Aliyev Wrestling Tournament-
1) World No.1 Bajrang Punia bagged his second title in two weeks as he defeated Viktor Rassadin in the finals of men’s 65kg freestyle in the Ali Aliyev wrestling tournament in Kaspiisk, Russia.
2) The 25-year-old Indian grappler had also won a yellow metal at the Asian Championships in Xian, China.
1) Actor Peter Mayhew, who is best known for his portrayal of Chewbacca in the Star Wars series, has passed away.
2) Mayhew died on April 30 in his home in North Texas, USA. He was 74.
Justice Subhashan Reddy Dies at The Age of 76-
1) Former chief justice of the Kerala and Madras High Courts B. Subhashan Reddy died on May 1 morning following a brief illness.
2) He was born in Hyderabad and studied at the New Science College and law in the Osmania University before taking up legal practice.
1) World Press Freedom Day (WPFD) is celebrated all over the world on the 3rd of May. The United Nations General Assembly declared May 3 to be World Press Freedom Day or just World Press Day to raise awareness of the importance of freedom.
2) The theme for WPFD 2019 is “Media for Democracy: Journalism and Elections in Times of Disinformation”.