Indo-French navies will hold their joint exercise off the Goa-coast from 1st May to 10th May 2019-
1) Varuna 19.1 is the first part of the Indo-French joint naval exercise. It is being held off the Goa coast from 1st to 10th May 2019.
2) The exercise will see the participation of the French Navy’s aircraft carrier FNS Charles de Gaulle, two destroyers, FNS Forbin and FNS Provence, the frigate FNS Latouche-Treville, the tanker FNS Marne and a nuclear submarine.
The Union Environment Ministry constituted a new committee to implement the National Clean Air Programme (NCAP)-
1) The Union Environment Ministry has constituted a new committee to implement the National Clean Air Programme (NCAP), which aims to cut pollution in the 102 worst affected cities by 20-30 percent by 2024.
2) The committee will be headed by the Secretary, Union Environment Ministry. The headquarters of the committee will be in New Delhi.
Akihito, first Japanese Emperor to step down from the throne in 200 years-
1) Japanese Emperor Akihito expressed gratitude to the Japanese people Tuesday as he abdicated his throne and turned it over to his son, becoming the nation’s first monarch to step down in 200 years.
The emperor’s eldest son, Crown Prince Naruhito, ascended to the throne after much prayer and ceremony.
BANKING & FINANCE
Iraq becomes India’s Top Oil Supplier in 2018-19-
1) Iraq has become India’s top crude oil supplier for the second consecutive year, meeting more than one-fifth of the country’s oil needs in the 2018-19 fiscal year.
2) India provisionally imported 207.3 million tonnes of crude oil in 2018-19, down from 220.4 million tonne in the previous financial year.
GRSE to build eight ASWSWCs for Indian Navy-
1) The public sector Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Limited (GRSE) has been awarded a Rs. 6,311 crore contract to build eight anti-submarine warfare shallow water craft for the Indian Navy.
2) The contract was signed by Joint Secretary & Acquisition Manager (Maritime Systems) Ravi Kant on behalf of the Ministry of Defence and S S Dogra, Director (Finance), on behalf of GRSE, in New Delhi.
International Labour Day is observed on May 1, 2019-
1) Labour Day or International Workers Day is celebrated annually on 1 May to celebrate the working class and labourers across the world. Socialist and labour unions celebrate this day by organising programmes to improve wages and working conditions of the workforce. In more than 80 countries Labour Day is a national holiday.
2) The theme of International Labour Day 2019 is “Sustainable Pension for all: The Role of Social Partners”.
Gujarat celebrates its foundation day on 1st May-
1) Gujarat received its status as a separate state on May 1, 1960. Known as the ‘Jewel of Western India’, Gujarat will celebrate its 59th foundation day this year.
2) The people of the state are all in a mood to celebrate and there are events planned on each district headquarters and village panchayats. Gujarat state was formed along with Maharashtra after they were divided from Mumbai.
US Judge and Civil Rights Icon Damon J. Keith died aged 96-
1) Judge Damon J. Keith, a grandson of slaves and figure in the civil rights movement who as a federal judge was sued by President Richard Nixon over a ruling against warrantless wiretaps, died. He was 96.
2) Keith died in Detroit, the city where the prominent lawyer was appointed in 1967 to the U.S. District Court, according to the Swanson Funeral Home.