1) Indian Navy’s frontline ASW corvette, INS Kadmatt arrived at Langkawi, Malaysia on a seven-day official visit on 25 March 2019. The ship is scheduled to participate in the 15th edition of Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace Exhibition, LIMA-19 during the visit.
2) INS Kadmatt is an indigenous stealth anti-submarine warfare corvette and was commissioned into the Indian Navy in January 2016. The ship is fitted with state-of-the-art weapons, sensors and machinery and is also designed to embark the Seaking anti-submarine helicopter.
India-Srilanka Joint Military Exercise MITRASHAKTI-VI Begins-
1) Mitra Shakti 2019, the two-week long annual joint military exercise between India and Sri Lanka has began in Diyatalawa.
2) It will be conducted at Diyatalawa 1 Gemunu Watch (GW) camp premises from March 26 to April 8 with the participation of 120 Indian Army Jawans and an equal number of Sri Lankan Army personnel.
3) Troops from 1st Battalion of Bihar Regiment of the Indian Army and Gemunu Watch Battalion of Sri Lankan Army would be jointly undertaking the exercise.
1) Norway’s capital city of Oslo will be the world’s first metropolitan area to install wireless, induction-based charging stations for electric taxis, in a bid to make a zero-emission cab system by as early as 2023.
2) The project will be the first wireless fast-charging infrastructure for electric taxis anywhere in the world and will also help the further development of wireless charging technology for all EV drivers.
1) China won the 2019 badminton Asia mixed team championships by defeating Japan 3-2 in the final tournament held in Hong-Kong.
2) China took the lead 1-0 after He Jiting and Du Yue overcame Japanese pair Yuta Watanabe and Arisa Higash in the mixed doubles.
3) In the women’s doubles, Li Yinhui and Du Fu sealed the win for China by beating Ayako Sakuramoto and Yukiko Takahata.
BANKING & FINANCE
1) The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has appointed Nandan Nilekani, co-founder of Infosys, as the chairman of a five-member high-level committee that will work towards deepening digital payments in India.
2) The committee, which will submit a report card to the RBI every three months, will assess the current levels of digital payments in financial inclusion, analyse and identify best practices that can be adopted to accelerate digitisation of the economy and financial inclusion through the greater use of digital payments.
Epilepsy Awareness Day observed on 26 March-
1) Purple Day for epilepsy awareness is observed worldwide on the 26th March to raise awareness about epilepsy, support persons with epilepsy and raise funds for the campaign and epilepsy research.
2) Epilepsy is a neurological disorder marked by sudden excess electrical discharge in the brain cells resulting in seizures, and the cause remains unclear in about half the cases.
1) Eminent folk artist, radio commentator, harmonium player, music composer and author Vinjamuri Anasuya Devi passed away at the age of 99 due to illness at Houston in the USA.
2) She was an awardee of lifetime achievement award in America and ‘Queen of Folk’ award in Paris.
Rafi Eitan who captured Adolf Eichmann passed away –
1) Former Israeli spy Rafi Eitan, who commanded the audacious 1960 capture of top Nazi Adolf Eichmann, died aged 92.
2) Rafi Eitan was the coordinator of Operation Finale, the daring operation that led to the capture and extradition of the highly sought-after WWII villain, Adolf Eichmann.